Make The Divorce Process Simpler

  1. Home
  2.  – 
  3. Child Support
  4.  – What kind of resources exist for parents paying child support?

What kind of resources exist for parents paying child support?

On Behalf of | Mar 30, 2016 | Child Support

While it can often seem like there are many more agencies and organizations set up to help parents collect child support, there are also several resources that can help those paying. The Florida Department of Revenue is responsible for child support within the state. This department offers services for both those paying and receiving child support.

Some of the resources available specifically to those paying child support in the state of Florida from this department include helping you establish paternity, modifying support orders and making payment arrangements. Establishing paternity is the most important of these if you are a father not married to the mother of your child as a support order cannot go forward until paternity is established.

Modifications are a fairly common request from parents paying child support. As jobs and family situations change, there may be grounds for the child support amount to be increased or decreased. Usually, these modification requests go through the child support department first, and then if there is any disagreement on the result, the case is moved to the courts.

If you are behind on child support and want to begin catching up to keep enforcement measures at bay, the Florida Department of Revenue can help you make payment arrangements. Staying current on support and actively paying back arrears is very important to avoid more serious penalties.

However, the most important resource you can have in any situation involving the Florida family courts is an attorney. Whether you are contemplating a divorce, just starting child support proceedings or have had a custody and support order for years, talking with an experienced family lawyer is the best way to discuss the details of your situation and find out more about your options.

Source: Florida Department of Revenue, “Questions and Answers,” accessed March 30, 2016