If you are unable to resolve your issues through mediation, there will come a day when you need to spend time in divorce court. There is no way around this, as it’s the only option left.
While no two people are the same, there are a few things you can do to ensure that you are prepared for your day in divorce court. Here are some top tips:
- Know what to expect. This is based largely on your personal situation and the state in which you live, but it’s a good idea to have a clear understanding of how the process will unfold.
- Be prepared with the necessary information. If you think something will work in your favor, it’s best to take it along with you.
- Choose the right attorney. It’s a good idea to have a qualified family law attorney by your side, as this person can keep you on track and help you make the right decisions.
- Keep a level head. As frustrated as you may be, you don’t want to lose your cool in court.
- Keep an open mind. You have an idea of what you want to accomplish, but things don’t always work out that way. When you keep an open mind, you’ll find it much easier to put your divorce in the past.
These are just a few of the many things you should do as you prepare for divorce court. As long as you take the right steps and are willing to roll with the punches, you should be able to work out all your disagreements in a timely manner.
Source: The Huffington Post, “Are You Prepared for Your Day in (Divorce) Court?,” accessed July 14, 2017