Toggle Menu Contact Pacheco Perez P.A. Attorneys at Law
Call For A Consultation:

Non-custodial parent child support in Miami, Florida

Custodial parents in the judicial district of the 11th Judicial Circuit Court in Miami can approach the Child Support Enforcement Division for assistance in obtaining child support from a noncustodial parent. In some cases, parents are referred to the division and an application is mandatory; in others, parents can choose to file a free application with the division.

CSED defines a noncustodial parent as the person that doesn't live with the child on a regular basis, but points out that children are entitled to support from both parental units. CSED helps custodial parents seek support from the other parent, including use of state, local and federal resources to locate the noncustodial parent so payments can be pursued.

According to the CSED FAQ, custodial parents that receive other types of public assistance, including food stamps or Medicaid, are referred to the unit for assistance. These parents must cooperate with the unit by providing information to help find a noncustodial parent and seek support payments. Failure to comply can result in the custodial parent receiving reduced benefits or having benefits terminated altogether.

To generate an order for child support, the division requires detailed financial information from both parents. A worker with the division interviews the custodial parent for information, and the custodial parent must also complete a written explanation regarding any information that is not obtainable through the division's investigation. The support worker also seeks information from the noncustodial parent before a determination is made.

While the division can be a useful tool in helping to resolve child support matters, the system doesn't work for every case, and parents have many legal rights that can be protected through other processes. Understanding all legal options for pursuing child support can help you increase the chances of a successful outcome.

Source: Eleventh Judicial Circuit of Florida, "Frequently Asked Questions for Child Support Enforcement Division" accessed Feb. 02, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Miami Divorce Lawyers — Let Us Evaluate Your Legal Matter

To make an appointment for a consultation with one of our experienced family law attorneys, call 305-742-0063 or fill out our simple intake form today.

From our law offices in Miami, Florida, we represent clients in North Miami, Miami-Dade County and throughout the South Beach area.

Email Email Us For A Response

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Pacheco Perez P.A.
2121 S. Douglas Road
Miami, FL 33145

Toll Free: 888-544-1366
Phone: 305-742-0063
Map & Directions